Thursday, September 11, 2008

Week 2 object various angles - Table


I chose a table at the local pool place to be the object of the assignment for this week. For the image below, the shot was taken from above at an angle looking down. By doing this, the focus became the table top, which shows the ornate metal work, however the focus of the legs is muted. In addition, the angle created the illusion that the legs are shorter than they actually are.

The image above was taken at an askewed side angle. This gave the focus on the legs instead of the table top. It also created an illusion of length in regard to the appearance of the legs which is longer than they really are and an almost 3d effect with one of them appearing as if it is 'coming out' of the picture.

Although the same object, the angles made it appear to be two different tables, one short, the other taller and the focal point not the same in either picture. (I did add a picture that I took during this project that I really liked of the table foot with the contrast also).

7 comments:

Travis M said...

I just wanted to say that I love these shots. They made me want to take different pictures to post. However I have what I have. You captured great detail, and I love the angles and sharp focus. Great job.

visualdigital said...

Hi there.
I love your shots also. Nice job,..so different and the same subject. Mine are not up yet,..you are inspiring,..and thanks. Diana

Jade and Jay said...

These metal table pictures are great. You really put some thought into the depth or field and focal points. I like how that one leg appears to be popping out - almost makes you blink to protect your eye from being poked. Metal this intricate is a lot of fun to photograph.

Alina said...

I love the first picture you have posted - of the table's leg - the colors come together incredibly, and it has a lot of detail to it as well, especially the carving on the leg itself.

Mallory said...

I have to agree with everyone else in class, I love the perspective of your shots! I think the third one is my favorite, even though they are all good. I really like how you were able to make all the shots look so different!

Anonymous said...

Great observations on what was happening as a result of different angles and focal points. Photos are always more interesting if they are somewhat incomplete because we want completeness. They make me a bit dizzy too and being thrown off balance by art is not a bad thing...

Caitlin said...

Hi Rachelle,
Just to let you know I uploaded those silhouette shots on my blogspot.

-Caitlin