Sunday, September 28, 2008

Week 4 - Same Subject different Light project






The first candle only has light from candle light. The light travels from the the top of the candle, however not showing the sides of the candle, the plate or the table it is upon. The focal point becomes the light source itself. On the second picture, the source of light is the candle light and a flash only. The top of the candle is accentuated even more so with the a direct flash, however it does not give much depth to the image although it shows what is in the background and color appears washed out. The third picture has candle light and energy efficient light source being bounced off of the ceiling. This gave a deeper yellow hue to the candle, which in fact the candle is yellow and the picture is pretty close to the actual color of it, the plate is much more pronounced and lighting helped to create depth, the candle looks like as if it has 'height' now.

7 comments:

Christina said...

What an awesome idea to use candles!! Your pictures are great!! What did you find worked best for your favorite shot?

Caitlin said...

These are awesome - I love how you played with lighting for a source of light.

Alina said...

Wow, I love your first candle shot. What kind of settings did you use to capture the candle so clearly? I like that you can't see the table and plate, it's mysterious... makes you wonder.

Tracy said...

I love the idea I would have never thougt to use candles. What is your favorite shot? I really like the first one, it looks the most natural.
TRacy

Rach said...

Christina ~ thanks! what worked best for my favorite shot was having my camera with me (how many times have we gone through the day and said geez I wish I had my camera) and having a particular angle and lighting. I posted so many because each of them had a uniqueness to them that I couldn't make up my mind which I liked the most.

Caitlin ~ Thanks! Another idea is using a night-light. :)

Alina ~ settings f stop 5, exposure 1/50, iso 400, 43 mm - flash turned off. Thanks - i like the candle light only also for the same reason.

Tracy ~ I like the first one also because it ignites one's imagination. (pun intended) :)

Mallory said...

I agree with everyone on this one, especially Caitlin. I love the way you found the different sources of light to make these photos so different. They would make a good fall yankee candle ad!!

Anonymous said...

This is a really excellent study of light. And so interesting because it is light AND light. Great composition and focus!