Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Week 3 Macro - Foot / Toes

The above pic was one of my favorites out of all of the pics taken. I decided to use my daughter's foot as the subject matter. Of course this has a special interest to me! :) I wanted something that would be representative of her growth so far in life and a comparison from now to the beginning when her foot was inked and printed when she was first born, so small! Her foot now the size of mine in such a short time. In addition, I like the fact that her toe nail polish is chipped off and dotted, not 'perfect', that it is more important to travel the road rather than being held hostage by the 'fashion avenue'. In taking the picture, I had to lay down on the floor to get the view from floor level. I used my macro setting with flash. I also chose black and white giving the importance to the shape of the object rather than the tones of two subjects (the foot & carpet) and competing against each other. I did not take the underside of her foot since I wanted to keep the carpet as the background, but I just realized that I could have just had her rollover and taken close-ups of the underside. As my husband would say, Monday morning quarter backing. :)









10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shot! I love the contrast of the foot and the rug and I agree that not showing the underside of the foot makes this a much more interesting angle. Black and white was a most excellent choice!

Rach said...

Thanks Karen! I was a little worried since I only used a foot a as a subject (after reading the discussion board).

Addrienne Marie said...

I agree with you about the toe nail polish. It adds an interesting detail to the photo and makes it even more unique. Does she have a star on her big toe?

Addrienne Marie said...

Also, I really like the lighting in the photo (you had mentioned you used the flash). It's not too harsh, and does not wash out any details.

Rach said...

Hi Leslie,
Yes it is a star on her big toe nail! The others have dots on them. :) Thanks for the comments!
Rachelle

Jade and Jay said...

The black and white choice as well as the single subject really add kind of an eerie calm to your collage. Although I have a natural aversion to nail polish (it's just one of those fashion trends I'll never understand or find attractive), I agree that its chipping away adds an imperfect character to your daughters toes. How old is she curiously?

Rach said...

Hi Jay,
9 (the youngest out of 8 kids at one time - 4 foster children and 4 of our own). She is more like an only child because of the age gap. The nail polish is never done as 'regular nail polish', she has smiley faces, stars, dots, flowers, bats (halloween)- i think they are her mobile art canvases. ;) thanks!
Rachelle

Unknown said...

I love your collage. One subject is plenty when there are so many angles. The black and white ads as much suspense as toes can have, and I liked the chipping toenail polish. Can toes be noir? As far as your questions on my blog.. I chose my subjects with color in mind as well as a how we affect nature kind of mind set. I strayed from that a bit, but that was the intention. I did not use a filter, but I took the leaf shot just before the sun disapeared. The flood lighting was warm and still fairly brite. I lucked out with the flash, because I actually only used my built in. I was happy that it looked as if it was only sunlight reflecting in the water. Again thank you for the post as well as the great collage.

Christina said...

I have to say I Hate feet!! :0) However your collage is wonderful...I like the black and white and all of the different angles. It's so great that you're a foster family...I work at an alternative school so I see a lot of mis-treated children, also my mom and dad who's biological youngest out of 4 children is 23, oldest being me at 29, adopted a baby boy who is now 2 1/2...My sister and her husband adopted my parents little boys two sisters and they all have at least seven more sibling that they don't really know about....It is so sad.

visualdigital said...

WOW, love your subject, and the repetition of your subject. Came out beautiful, inspirational!