Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Week 8 Color & Lighting




The first picture is the original, as you can see it is very dark. I cropped the pictures to show the characters more (this is a reenactment of the Bridget Bishop trial - the first person to be found guilty as a witch in Salem). In the first picture I went under the enhance key, adjustments black and white, newspaper black and white. I then used the wand on the character on the right (the accused) and on the accuser on the left. I then went into the window section and clicked on color swatches and then clicked on pencil then changed it to a brush with opacity of 48% , within the color swatch I chose red for the accused (foreboding the violent end of her life) and then blue for the accuser (cold and calculating). On the other photo I lightened the shadows, darkened the highlights, and increased the midtone. Also used a slight cool blue tone to correct the color.






I did the same thing on this photo as the one below (again same camera used) - however this photo was not as clear looking - by tweaking the lighting (shadows and highlights) along with a slight cool tone & saturation of color. (These are under the enhance link upper bar and the other slide adjustments on the quick edit under lighting and color if using elements). I also did as Karen taught last week in regard to creating a duplicate background layer in order to be able to work within the layer and added an adjusment layer with photos filters working under the normal one.





Since I have photoshop element - the lighting and color is under the enhance link, there is also a quick link that has the adjustments for the various tones (light shadows, medium, dark) and color adjustments in regard to hues, saturation, etc. In this photo, I replaced the face with the color black since the focus is the reflection in the sunglasses. I then lightened the shadows, darkened highlights and increased the midtones. In the color I slightly saturated it a little more and then did a slight cool tone (blue) to it. This photo was from one that I took last year in NYC while visiting relatives (this is actually one of them with the sunglasses on and she looked like a fly since they were so big). The camera I used is not the camera I have now. I used a basic point and shoot digital HP camera max 5.1 megapixels.

3 comments:

photography by lisa whitman said...

Rach,

I love the adjustments that you made to the NYC skyline photo. It makes appear as if it were a painting and even taken from an era from the past. Very cool!

Rach said...

Thanks so much Lisa! I liked the bldg dwarfed by the skyscrapers.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous sunglass photo! And you really did make the city photo more colorful. The Salem re-creation is amazing what excellent and meticulous work. Your cropped it for a great composition and only put enough added color to make the red and blue subtle. It's amazing you could get that out of the original photo!