Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Week 4 - Color & Light - Variety of Pics

Monochrome


Analogous & Monochrome if fern by itself

Complementary (below also)






Complementary





Monochrome














Analogous







Complementary
Above is an example of natural light and below is an example of when a flash is used how the lighting affects the picture (the same time of day). The nuances created by natural lighting I think makes the subject more interesting and creates more of a focal point where the flash gives credence to everything in the picture, the entire picture is the focal point.
So far these are some of the favorite pics out of the many that I have taken the past couple of days. I prefer working with natural lighting and found that the time of day can either give a cool cast or a warm cast and depending on the tone and effect that I wanted would depend on the time of day that I would take the picture. I found that objects that were in the same color category had to have some kind of texture to it to make it interesting to me. I tried to touch on the different types of color categories that there are. There were shots where I found that I had to manually set my camera to as opposed to the auto due to focus and lighting effects that I was trying to get that I was not able to with the auto set. I was very excited over the dragonflies. There are three different types and these were taken over two days, amazingly they did not fly off and I was so close I could see them 'blinking' and moving their eyes!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh these are amazing!!! I especially love the dragonflies - did you use a macro lens?

Rach said...

Thank you! No I used a regular lens, with manual focus on most, in particular the dragonfly shots due to the auto not being able to focus in. I actually was close enough to the dragonfly that I could see it blinking at me. I did not set my camera on the close-up setting as my flash was firing and I did not want the flash to fire, I wanted the effects of how the sunlight was falling upon the object, therefore I put my camera on a no flash setting.

Travis M said...

I love the shot of the red dragonfly with the green background, and the colors of the flower interior. The colors are amazing. I like how you refrained from flash fill so natural light could do what it would. Congrats on the cool shots.

Jade and Jay said...

Wow, these are truly beautiful shows. Not to minimize from your artistic style, but your camera has a much higher quality of detail and color than mine. Even the contrast between concrete and leaf is spectacular. It doesn't look like you sit in an office during the majority of sunlit hours, eh? I rushed home the other night just to get about 20 minutes of sun before it dipped behind our hill.

Rach said...

Thanks Travis & Jay! It takes quite a few pictures to come up with the 'perfect' one. Regarding the color - I have found through out the years that the temperature outside and the time of day make a big difference in the quality of the picture. I think when it is cooler out the air is 'clearer' and everything appears much more crisper. I have always found no matter the type of camera that I am using that this does make a huge difference. Given that I live in a high elevation and it has been considerably cooler out, along with having to take 1/2 a day off from work due to school being out - helped to take daylight pictures. But on top of that, I started carrrying my camera with me to wherever I am going (bus stop in the morning) in to work, grocery shopping, etc. That way I can have the opportunity to take pictures during different times of day and not feel that I miss out. Well break is over, gotta run, more later! Rachelle

Alina said...

You have so many beautiful pictures and the colors are so vibrant. I especially like the ones with red and green leaves, feels like the sunlight brings out the life in these shots. Did you try to take pictures with the flash? How do you think those pictures would have turned out?

Anonymous said...

The dragonfly photos are great! They are my totem animal, in Western culture they represent illusion. The shopping cart photo colors are quite stunning and they are in fact complementary. Good job on the light photos: the copper pipe, the apples, and they way the birch tree bark is obliterated by the intense light. You spoke of the cool air and good light which is so true. And you get cooler colors in a sunrise than in a sunset mainly because the cool air of evening makes the dust in the atmosphere settle. During the day it's all stirred up. It's dust in the atmosphere that causes the intense color...

Rach said...

Thank you Alina! I did not use a flash on the pics that are posted. I did take about +/-170 pictures (checked my SD card). I had the flash go off automatically from my camera when I was taking some of the shots and had to switch my camera over to manual settings since the flash filled the subjects with light thus leaving no shadow and giving a different hue to the subject matter rather than the nuances of natural light falling, shadowing, a cool tone or a warm tone, etc. The pictures with the flash, I did not like, I found it diminshed the natural elements and the color was not the same.

Rach said...

Thank you Karen! We missed our dragonflies in August and wondered what happened to all of them, well it seems that they were just a little late and we are inundated with them now (which is wonderful)! I think it is interesting how the weather can affect the visual acuity of the camera's eye. I had to hurry up and take the picture of the grocery carts because when I first grabbed my camera, one of the workers took a row away (the corral was initally full)and I had to hurry before he came back for the other row! I realize I put more pictures than what was needed, but I haven't figured out yet how to get files smaller from my camera to not take so much space up on flickr. My goal for the week is to figure that out. The birch trees always seem to be drowned by intense light midday, in the morning they look bluish and in the evening a yellowish tone to them. I liked how it was glowing. :)

photography by lisa whitman said...

Rachelle,

I really like the complementary photo of the shopping cart and awning. I don't think I have ever seen shopping carts that color before.
Nice shots of the dragon fly(s). I can never seem to find them landed anywhere. They are always so busy eating bugs right out the air at my house. I love to sit and watch them as they come in the late afternoon to early evening, but I haven't seen any since late August early September. Living on the mountain it has been far too cold, with the exception of these last couple of days which have been temperature wise nice and warm, but overcast. And speaking of times of day, it really is neat how these overcast days really make the colors of the fall leaves just pop and seem so much more intense. The colors on the trees here in Ripton went from just starting to turn and then overnight they all were and instant bath of colors everywhere. Very cool!

Kat PenDragon said...

oh wow. those dragonflies just astounded me. and those vibrat colors on those plants..just wow.

Christina said...

I too love the dragonflies!! I swear all we have are the black and grey ones.=:0) It is funny I took some crab apple photos too. I would have never noticed something like the grocery carts under the canopy.

visualdigital said...

Hi there, thanks so much for your comments, things are working a little smoother now! :) Yous shots are beautiful, liked the way you showed the cherry shots, the diffenence in lighting is so obvious when exploring like this! I have to say, the shopping carts with the double tunnel really loved it! My friend and I both really loved how such a simple every day subject, ws taken to the height of fabulous art! The dragon flies also,..we have them every where these days, have tried taking a lot of shots, you got a really great composition! Keep it up!!

Rach said...

Lisa & Diana ~ Thanks! I happened to bring my camera with me for just in case and went to a grocery store that I very rarely go to and saw the color of the carts and the corrals (with the yellow lines), I went hey that is perfect and how it was lined up with the other one. It just worked out!

Kat ~ Thanks! I could not believe that all of them actually stayed with out flying off - but I kind of wonder if they 'knew' me since they were in my flower garden and I am out there a lot working in the beds.

Christina ~ Thanks! (see above)