Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Week 9 Dodge & Burn

Leslie inspired me on this picture. This is my cat Lucky, I cropped the pic to her face since I had a little difficulty getting the outline using the wand & other tools to line up with her body correctly (she is so funny, if you are sitting at the island or standing in the kitchen and she wants to talk to you, she will jump on one of the stools and either sit next to you or look at you and start talking (meowing)). I did the same as below. Although, I did have to add black to her eyes since I don't have a 'green eye correction' only red eye correction. I think the latest elements has the green eye correction for animals retinas.
On this one I used the magic wand to cut out the dancer, the original was over exposed and washed out due to the proximity of the flash. Once that I darkened the highlights, lightened the shadows to give a more even appearance (so I actually used both dodge and burn on the dancer). I selected the background next and darkened the highlights, the shadows and the midtones. I also adjusted the color saturation, fixed the hue slightly and the amount of light within the color hue/saturation adjustment.

Well - I was trying to get the flashlight effect, the one where you sit around the campfire and stick the flashlight to your face to tell a spooky story... that one. :) In photoshop elements the dodge and burn tool is located under the sponge tool on the left side. It shows up if you right click on the sponge tool. I set it at 50% opacity. In elements they do not have grey - it appears that it is either black or white depending on if you are using the dodge and burn in regard to creating a layer. For some reason when I tried doing it through the layer technique, I was not able to get it to work. Although,I am still researching and playing around with it. I thought the picture came out okay for a first try, my husband thinks he looks like a monkey though - he said I look like I from planet of the apes - I guess it kind of does, but it was fun to play around with it to try to get it to look like a flashlight shining up. The only thing I didn't like and took it off was a slight red overlay in some areas to give it further flashlight effect, but it didn't work out very well.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the creativity you used in these. The dancer colors jump right out since you did not change the background! The cat composition is really good and the eyes look very natural. Great fun working with the flashlight idea. Your husband is a good sport, I suggest you keep him...;o)

Travis M said...

The flashlight picture is pretty creepy. What a good idea. Spooky, artsy, what else do you want?

visualdigital said...

I do like the work you have done. especially you're husband with the flashlight. what a good idea. The burning worked well I thought . And yes kind of like planet of the apes
in a great way.consul

Jade and Jay said...

I keep think you overlaid a picture of a monkey to your husbands face in the last one. No offense to him at all, but the way you shaped his face and blacked-out his eyes reminded me of those scary monkeys with the cymbals.

Rach said...

yeah... monkey shine from stephen king.. lol...it's interesting how altering light can completely alter the image into something else!